Saturday, June 25, 2016

Hello! Welcome to my garden!

I have started this blog -- mostly about my garden -- for the joy of it. Gardening is my hobby. In previous years, I have occasionally posted a pic on FB about this or that plant. This year, I started posting many pics. After a little while, I decided that my garden pics and discussion might be better served here as a blog. I am not a Master Gardener. My garden is a bit chaotic. My head understands the design principles - repetition, continuity, odd numbers, drifts, waves, etc. But, my heart says "oh look, isn't that pretty!" So, I have a lot of onesies. And, I don't really care what the lawn looks like. Well, I wish there were less weeds, but I don't care enough to do anything about it. My zone is 5B. I can "work" in my garden from about April 15 through the end of November. Some bulbs, such as snowdrops, will sprout and bloom before April, but other than admire them, there is really nothing to be done in the garden.




I live on a typical residential street in Wauwatosa, WI. I live in one of the “middle” houses on the short side of the block (there are 4 houses on the short side and 6-7 on the long sides, with the corner houses being counted twice). The front of my house faces south. My lot is about 57 feet wide by 150 feet deep. Starting at the street, the city easement swath of grass is about 20 feet wide and there is one tree (a Hackberry about 15 years old). Then, the sidewalk. The front yard is about 40 feet deep. Then, the house. The back yard is about 50 feet deep. My entire lot is flat.

I garden with the help of my husband, who does the heavy lifting, the big hole digging, and the grass cutting.

The next several posts will  give you an overview of my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment