Friday, July 29, 2016

Fun with Seeds

 I’ve had some interesting bits of success with starting things from seed this year. I do not consider myself “good with seeds”. Generally, things just don’t sprout for me. But, I try something almost every year. I found some seed pods (husks? balls?) in the garage in a dish that I had saved from 2 years ago. I remember that the plant was an ornamental that I bought on a whim. It didn’t grow as tall as I was expecting, but it did get seed pods and I saved them. Trouble was, I couldn’t remember what the plant was.


I thought I would give the seeds a try – why not! I soaked the pods in a dish of water for several days. Eventually, the pod sort of broke apart and there were several individual seeds, about the size of a bean seed, inside. I planted several in a few small containers of potting mix outside on my patio. Surprise! They sprouted! But, I still couldn’t tell what the plant was. I gave a few of the seedlings to my mom-in-law, and I planted 4 of them in my yard – 2 near the Plum tree stump, and 2 in the back bed.



All the seedlings survived, and have grown bigger. I now know they are Castor Bean plants. Look, they already have seed pods!



The ones in the back area are almost 4 feet tall at this point. I’m hoping for more height as summer goes on.



At a nursery in my area, there is an enormous Wisteria vine covering an 8 sided gazebo. I was admiring it one day when I saw some bean-like seeds on the ground (lots of them). I picked up a handful and took them home. Again I soaked these seeds in a dish of water for several days. I planted a few in small containers, and 2 sprouted! I don’t know what to do with these yet since I really don’t have a spot for Wisteria.



Last year, in my annual flower pots in the front of the house, I had some Balsam. The flowers eventually went to seed, and dropped their seeds all over the front area where they got washed into the nearby beds. I didn’t think much about it. This spring, I got a flurry of Balsam seedlings right near the front stoop. Enough that I was able to spread the seedlings throughout the front beds and many are blooming!

No comments:

Post a Comment